[ODE] Unable to collide with trimesh

Michael Mandel mmandel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 15:17:40 MST 2004

I attempted to do the same thing, only I am colliding a ragdoll made
of jointed boxes instead.  I had lots of problems getting ODE to
perform the collision response correctly (and in many cases, my
objects would fall right through my mesh).  The main things I did to
make trimesh collision workable was to first make sure the side of my
bodies were much closer to unit length by scaling all sizes as they
get sent to ODE and scaling them back when I retreive information.  I
noticed, that objects tended to fall completely through triangles if
they don't intersect one of the edges - to combat this, I simply
subdivided my triangle mesh so that each triangle is below a specified
threshold in size.  While this increased the time it takes to send the
mesh to ODE, I didn't notice much of a performance hit otherwise.  I
also remembered tweaking some of the friction constants to make things
slide around less, and that seemed to help stability as well.

I am just a beginner with ODE, so I welcome some of the authors and
more experienced users to chime in with some better advice.  Hope this
helps,

Mike Mandel