[ODE] Record and Playback

Brian Clarkson brianclarkson at btconnect.com
Tue Jan 27 08:17:46 MST 2004

We are just about to develop a record/playback function for our game. We
have interactively controlled vehicles
and dynamic objects within the scenes. Has anybody done this successfully.
For us it is necessary for the recordings made
on one machine to be replayed on another. I think a system based on the
recording of the vehicle control inputs is the simplest
approach but I think it may be very difficult to guaranty consistent replay
across machines. I have a system which records body positions
and orientations which works fine but this approach is limited to replaying
the vehicles progress within the original world and memory
requirements are high if the world is complex.

We are using fixed time steps and fixed frame rate with works very
consistently across different machines as you would expect.

Any body got any comments. Can any one confirm the repeatability of body
behaviour with repeated input forces and collisions.

Brian..