[ODE] Ragdoll performance with OpenDE

Aras Pranckevicius nearaz at interamotion.com
Tue Jan 13 09:34:03 MST 2004

> performance. I mean I create 5 Ragdolls and the performance of the
> simulation starts to stall. I haven't done anything fancy yet, just
> added simple hinge joints.

Two main bottlenecks could be: a) "physics", b) collision.

> dWorldStepFast1 method with only 8 iterations

Why that much? :) If the bottleneck is "physics", first try to reduce
iterations (say, to 2) and see if that helps. Also, maybe you could go with a
larger timestep (and tune ERP/CFM parameters a lot to get good simulation).

If the bottleneck is collision, then make sure you don't collide ragdoll
parts with itself; and use some space to keep the ragdolls (which one -
depends on, umm, lots of factors :)).

In any case, the first thing would be to profile it and see what's happening.

Aras Pranckevicius aka NeARAZ
http://www.gim.ktu.lt/nesnausk/nearaz/