[ODE] My ODE++

Jakob Kjaer makob at makob.dk
Thu Jan 8 20:34:34 MST 2004

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Jon Watte wrote:
--snip--
> The approach I took was:
>
> - write very shallow, managed classes that wrap the IDs.
> - use dReal in all the interfaces (the current wrapper uses double)
> - use Microsoft.DirectX classes for vector, quaternion and matrix
>   This allows you to remove one copy if you use Direct3D, and it does
>   not change the number of copies required otherwise -- although it does
>   require Microsoft.DirectX being installed.
--snip--

I must sincerely object against using Direct3D in such wrappers! By using
this, you prevent eg. Linux-users from using your wrapper, which would be
a pity!

You could probably use #ifdefs in your code to make the wrapper take
advantage of DX if compiled on Windows, but otherwise, it should use the
normal vector and matrix-classes et al. I am not that much into the ODE
code itself, and does not know whether the #ifdef-style programming is
widely accepted...

Cheers,
Jakob Kjaer (a Linux-only-user :)

--