[ODE] Moving Objects

Nate W coding at natew.com
Sat Jan 3 18:47:58 MST 2004

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 marco at vienup.de wrote:

> i have a question. I have build a small robot in ode conected with
> joints etc. Now I want move the robot with the mouse through the world.
> ( Lift him up in the air, move him to the new position and lift him down
> ) My first try was to add a force to the body. But now the robot begins
> to stagger. Not nice. Has anyone a good idea how to solve the problem ?

Adding a force to the body is the approach I used, and it works well for
me.  Make the force proportional to the distance between the mouse and the
body, and (this is important) use damping to prevent the body of
oscillating back and forth while you hold it in the air.

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA