[ODE] ODE GUI Editor #2...

Ruud van Gaal ruud at marketgraph.nl
Sat Feb 28 12:42:13 MST 2004

> From: Steve Baker <sjbaker1 at airmail.net>
> Megan Fox wrote:
> > I'm unclear why such would be the case, as it has nothing
> to do with
> > how you group your data.
> Heck - the result may well be different between
> one compiler optimisation level and another - so if your
> application is built with full optimisation and the modeller
> is built under debug conditions then the numbers will come
> out subtly different.

Use the MPEG approach; use delta values, compression quite a bit (there's a
nice article on deterministic replays on Gamasutra that explains how this
was done using about 1.2 bytes/frame of controller info on average; in a
real PS2 game). Then every now & then store key frames as a full state,
correcting any mishaps on the way.
That should deal with floating point differences on different platforms/CPUs
etc.

Ruud