[ODE] Re: New tri_tri_intersect

Pierre Terdiman pierre.terdiman at novodex.com
Fri Feb 27 09:35:46 MST 2004

> >     Ah, for anyone cares about convex-convex collision :
> >     http://www.gamedev.net/columns/hardcore/ofg/
> >     It is very clear and *reasonable* (think so!). Did anyone try it?
>
> >From the first glance, it looks like some sort of "simplified" GJK, and
> described in human-readable terms (while most GJK papers explain
> in "scientific" terms, using scary names for simple concepts :)).

Indeed. I don't quite get that article. You'd better use good old (GJK /
ISA-GJK / Q-Collide / V-Clip / Swift / whatever) for this !

Unless I'm missing something (I only read it "diagonally"), it doesn't say
anything about the actual problem : contact generation. Finding intersecting
triangles between convex objects is not really an issue...

> Actually, there are some GJK implementations available:
> . Stephen Cameron's "Enhanced GJK".
> . Gino van den Bergen's (as part of FreeSolid). I haven't measured them,
but
> just looking at the code size it looks like it should outperform Cameron's
:)

And also a version in Graphics Gems 4.

Solid's version is the fastest, though (IIRC) slower than Swift++ (which
doesn't actually use GJK).

Pierre