[ODE] GUI Editor, to XML or not?

William Denniss lists at omegadelta.net
Fri Feb 27 11:31:16 MST 2004

While I am sure this would be a useful thing to have, not everyone is
using the raw C ODE calls, and it is less practical for these people.

For example, if you are using some higher level O-O library with ODE,
then it's pretty useless if your editor exports just the C calls.

I would rather see either loaders in the code to read the XML or an
XML<-->Code (C/C++ whatever) converter, although I feel ultimately a
loader is the better path to take.

I have seen this done with OpenGL in the past, that is having a modeller
export C code with the openGL calls.  Once you do something like that
you are hopelessly tied to the API making it not future proof at all.
Using some standard format is much more flexible in the long run.

Will.