[ODE] ODE GUI Editor #2...

Martin C. Martin martin at metahuman.org
Wed Feb 25 21:36:31 MST 2004

For once I agree with Jon Watte.  For my ODE simulation, I wrote out the
  state of the simulation at every tick.  The position & rotation of
every body, as well as a bunch of stuff about what the AI was thinking.
  I did it in XML, as a way to explore the format.  The files ended up
being a couple gigabytes.  After a couple runs, my name started
appearing in the "top disk users" report.  At least they compressed down
pretty well.

The idea of a file that knows something of its own structure is very
powerful and long overdue.  But basing it on text may not be the right idea.

I'm actually ambivalent, there are advantages to XML too.  I could open
my XML files with Internet Explorer, and it could "lint" them for me.
There are lots of XML parsers around (although I had to write my own
anyway.)

Something more like the IFF file format may be best.