[ODE] Creation of sloped ground planes.

Joshua Bongard bongard at ifi.unizh.ch
Thu Feb 12 14:03:41 MST 2004

An easier to way to 'slope' the ground is to change the gravity vector;
ie., the gravity vector will point perpendicular to the ground plane. You
can then rotate the camera in drawstuff so that it looks right. I have
some videos of this at work for a 20 degrees horizontally-sloped floor:

http://www.ifi.unizh.ch/ailab/people/bongard/Damage_Recovery/

Have fun,
Josh

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Shamyl Zakariya wrote:

> Drawstuff always draws a flat groundplane at z=0, irregardless of how
> your ground plane is configured, or even if you're using one at all.
> What you're seeing is your robot sliding along the *real* ground...
>
> If you want it to display correctly, you'll have to roll some of your
> own opengl display code.
>

> Shamyl Zakariya
>    "this is, after all, one of those movies where people spend a great
>    deal of time looking at things and pointing."
> 	From a review of _Fantastic Voyage_
>
> On Feb 8, 2004, at 1:47 PM, Danesh Tarapore wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to create a slanted ground plane with a slope of -1/2 along the
> > x direction.
> >
> > I used the code
> > ground = dCreatePlane (space,1/1.414,0,1/1.414,0);
> >
> > However what happends is the robot created just slips into the floor.
> > However for a flat surface,
> >  ground = dCreatePlane (space,0,0,1,0);
> >  the robot does remain still
> >

> > Could anyone tell me what I may be doing wrong.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help,
> > best wishes,
> > Danesh.
> >
> >  Do you Yahoo!?
> >  Yahoo! Finance: Get your refund fast by filing
> > ODE mailing list
> > ODE at q12.org

Josh C. Bongard
Doctoral candidate, Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
Department of Information Technology, University of Zurich
Winterthurerstrasse 190, CH-8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Phone: +41 01 635 43 47
Fax:   +41 01 635 68 09
www.ifi.unizh.ch/ailab/people/bongard/