[ODE] spam on wiki area page?

Belorion belorion at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 09:03:00 MST 2004

There has been extensive discussion of Wiki Spam prevention on the
Ruby list, (regarding the website www.rubygarden.org).  The admin
there has found some success in using a "tar pit" for capturing wiki
spammers.  You can view the contents of ruby-talk at comp.lang.ruby,
specifically you will want to look at the thread at
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_thread/thread/8397eb346d1516e4/2efc4013892474a4

They seem to have had a fair bit of success using this approach.

Another approach I saw used on a different wiki was a link to a wiki
honeypot.  Essentially, there is a link in the Wiki which takes you to
a page which basically says "Do not click *this* link, as you will be
banned from the site for X amount of time."  So the spam-bots get
banned since they crawl all the links.  Of course, this does not stop
manual spammers, but the "tar pit" approach has had some success with
that.