[ODE] Difference in scale of body vs collision geometry

vincent ngai vincent.ngai at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 22:17:16 MST 2004

Hi, I've recently started using ODE for simulating moving of heavy
objects like containers carried by shipping lines. They weigh for the
most part upwards of a few tons to about 30 tons max. I was planning
on clamping the mass to 0.0 - 3.0 for
the range of 0 - 30 tons. That would give me a scale of about 1000kg
to 0.1 units.
Am I right to say that I would have to scale the linear measurement units from
1m to 1.0 to 1m to 0.0001 units?

What then would happen to the collision geometry? Given that the
linear measurements  becomes so small, should i scale my graphics unit
to match this or is it ok to have collision and mass scale
differently. e.g

dMassSetBoxTotal(1,0.0005,0.0005,0.001)
dCreateBox(5,5,10)

--