[ODE] Re: Torque settings for simulated servo

mouke at gmx.net mouke at gmx.net
Thu Aug 5 00:47:43 MST 2004

Well, first, you should try and use your real input values. You can
achieve quite stable results also with very small/large values,
especially when using double precision. Just ensure proper setup of
all parameters.
For example, leave global CFM and ERP at their defaults for the
beginning, don't use any flags in dCollide you don't really need, and
ensure a reasonable and constant timestep.

If you are sure you want to stick with your unit conversion however,
you just need to:

1. scale all masses and forces by your factor of choice. Since
acceleration is force divided by mass, it will stay the same. You
don't need to scale lengths or even gravity.

2. since torque is force times distance, scale it by the same factor
when applying torque directly. Angular acceleration is torque divided
by inertia, and inertia is proportional to mass, therefore angular
acceleration will stay the same.

Hope this helps,
Michael