[ODE] Torque settings for simulated servo

Garvin Haslett g.a.haslett at sussex.ac.uk
Mon Aug 2 16:21:17 MST 2004

I am using ODE to simulate a robot that I am building.  To model the
servo motors I am using hinges but I seem to be making an error in
setting the servo torque.  I have set gravity to -98.1, thus implying
that one unit of distance is 10cm.  I have chosen my unit of mass to
be 0.1 kg.

The data sheet for my servo lists the torque as being 4.1 kg cm or
0.041 kg m.  I convert this to Nm by multiplying by 9.81 giving 0.402
Nm.

I seem to be getting lost in choosing the correct unit of torque in
simulation.  I've taken the view that a real Newton is the kgm/s^2 so
therefore one of my simulated "Newton" shoud be 0.01 N (0.1m x
0.1kg).  Continuing this logic my unit for torque should be 0.001Nm so
my the value I set the Max Torque for my servo should be 402.

However once I do this I find my simulated servo lifting weights the
real one cannot.

Is there any obvious flaw in my reasoning here?

Thanks in anticipation of any help,

Garvin.