[ODE] questions regarding physically based camera modeling using ODE

Mike Reinstein web_fella at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 26 05:23:11 MST 2004

I think I probably made a mistake in my last email regarding my questions...
I didn't differentiate between entities (movable players) and cameras. I
made the assumption that cameras were always synonymous with entities, as is
the case with first person perspective. But the real crux of my problem lies
in the facts that:
a) I don't want my avatars to rotate as a result of interactions with ODE
b) I don't understand how I build a networked simulation where all
participants (clients) store a copy of the simulation locally, running it in
parallel to the server. I want to Implement predicative contracts, but I'f
im not sending positions of objects explicitly, how can I do movement
interpolation? I'm assuming I send forces enacted by each moving player
entity, and allow each client to work out the movement, but can I do this
with reasonable confidence that all players are seeing the same simulation
execute? does ODE internally rely on any stochastic mechanisms that would
cause noticeable differences in simulation copies? (ignoring small rounding
differences).

I'm assuming this also involves clock synchronization between clients and
servers as well?

I'd appreciate any feedback or tips. Thanks for your reply h+ :)

-Neko

<web_fella at hotmail.com>,<ode at q12.org>