[ODE] air friction

Ivan Bolcina ivan.bolcina at snt.si
Wed Apr 21 16:25:03 MST 2004

Actually I have a question on this to.
If you want to simulate drag of friction, than you put some force. The
problem is, the force will work fore some ammount of time, giving the
object certain  amount of dV.
The problem is,that by doing this, the object never stops (or it stops,
but only because float numbers have limited range).  This is also true
for air friction, I think.
The object in realitiy would never completly stop, since friction force
would alwasy produce smaller dV for current velocity. But this would
only be true, if we could operate with smaller and smaller dt.  If we
operate with fixed dt, I am not sure the results are accurate.

The sistem doesn't seem stable. During some point, the ODE should decide
that object is moving so slowly, that it is actually stoped.
BTW, friction and drag are actually sum of forces of molecules hitting
the object, or some other micro events, and we have to simulate this in
one way or another. The question is how?