[ODE] documentation initiative

gl gl at ntlworld.com
Mon Apr 12 09:18:05 MST 2004

Guys, "there should be a VC workspace in CVS"??  Well there is - mine!  Did
you miss my recent posts about it??

I understand the frustration getting ODE to work the first time - I did
manage to get it to work on win using the configurator at the time, but it
was messy and long winded (and things like 'you have to manually create the
lib dir or it will fail mysteriously' don't help matters).

That's why I pushed to have my workspace right in the ODE root, in \VC6.
I'm not familiar with other platforms, but adding similar setups where
appropriate for other compilers is the right thing to do IMO.

I also think that pre-compiled binaries aren't really that helpful.  Why?
Because official ODE releases tend to be seriously out of date, and so most
people sooner or later want a CVS build - if they can't build it themselves,
well, they're screwed.  The answer is simple, maintained compiler setups,
not binaries (although they can be usefull to get started).

With my workspace, all you do is:

1) setup the include/lib paths
2) run a batch file (to select float/double, trimish on/off support).

(as documented in the ReadMe file).  That's it.

BTW, Russ, please include it in the next official release - it's stable and
will avoid a lot of the complaints.

Oh, and Billy:

> The problem ended up being the paths being screwed up and it grabbing
includes or libs or something from one of the 98 previous other versions of
ode i have on my machine <snip> It would of taken forever for a newer user.

A new user wouldn't have had '98 previous other versions of ODE' installed
now, would he ; ).  I'm afraid setting up paths comes with the territory.
--
gl