[ODE] Misunderstanding?

Megan Fox shalinor at circustent.us
Sat Apr 10 10:15:49 MST 2004

Since you're using it for collision only, one option is to create your plane
and other objects without bodies (geoms only), update their positions per
physics step, and manage the collisions yourself.

You would end up running collision as usual, but instead of attaching the
contact joints to bodies and letting it resolve the collisions, you would
take the contact joint data and resolve the collisions yourself (between
calling Collide and WorldStep).

... though if you're just doing collisions, and want to keep it simple, it
would almost seem like a better idea to just use OPCODE directly and not
bother with ODE until you want/need rigid body simulation.  Then you'd just
be dealing with a standard collision library, that works only with
tri-meshes (probably what you'd want for this sort of thing - I can't
imagine you'd want to model out everything with geoms).

-Megan Fox