[ODE] Misunderstanding?

Terence Lewis slyterence at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 10 09:00:36 MST 2004

OK, firstly, I don't actually know if 1942 was ever
made for Atari, the emulator I have is for the NES. My
mistake :). In fact, I barely remember my parents
playing on an atari 2600? way back when. Atari's kinda
before my time.

Secondly, I'm not actually interested in recreating
the game, I'm trying to make a decent 'clone' using
Windows, C++, OpenGL, 3DS Max and ODE.

Perhaps I should have been more clear about the number
of dimensions I'm using. I'm rendering fully 3D models
in a fully 3D environment, but my camera is, for now,
fixed directly above the player's plane.

The player is only allowed to move in the XY plane for
simplicity of control, and because that's what 1942
had, but there is a 3rd dimension. I have ships that
sit at sea-level, and the player will be able to bomb
them.

I'm not asking how the original game was made, I'm
trying to figure out how to use ODE to simplify the
physics and collision aspects of my game, given that
the processor I'm using is about a billion times
faster than an Atari (or NES for that matter).

Still, thank you for taking the time to reply.

$£¥

-------------------------------------

Back in the days of Atari, they didn't have ODE. They
had animations
for
rotations, boxes for collisions, and vectors for
controlling the
"physical simuation" of each sprite. 2 vectors, 1 for
position, and
another for the velocity. The rotation is just an
animation, since
rotating a sprite is costly CPU-wise. Collisions with
bullets are
handled with simple boxes. I'm sure you can do all
that yourself in
under 20 minutes.

Oh, BTW, they didn't actually use vector math. I don't
think Atari had
floating point math ;) so it'd have to be done in an
integer way, rise
over run. Precomputed of course. But since we have
plenty of CPU and
fancy C/C++ you can use vectors for easy math.

~Bill

=====
We scratch, our eternal itch
A twentieth century bitch