Trimesh-trimesh collider (was Re[2]:[ODE]Triangle-boxcollidercontribution) (going OT)

Jon Watte hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Tue Apr 6 13:00:45 MST 2004

> Most consumer pcs do run at the very minimum, transform and lighting.
> assuming that by consumer PCs you mean systems that are not business
> workstations or servers.

Sorry, but U.S. Q4 2003 numbers from different sources show Intel Extreme 3D Graphics at between 30 and 40% of the market. These all use the CPU for transform. And these are sold into homes -- they're the most affordable. This includes laptops, where the 855 seems to be the biggest seller.

If you're writing a game, and don't support the i845/i855/i865, you're losing out on a lot of the current software-buying market. This is for the U.S.

When it comes to installed base, rather than current sales, I think hardware transform is even less common. Lots of people have an old ATI Rage, or a TNT-2, or something like an S3 Savage. These were sold in stores as late as last year (except for the TNT-2). Also, on laptops, the ATI Radeon IGP has a reasonably deep penetration; that's also a part that lacks HT&L.

I work with these numbers and these classes of hardware every day, so I'm fairly confident in these statements :-)

Cheers,

			/ h+