[ODE] Adding a good "feel" to a haptics device

Manohar B.S sciphilog at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 4 20:22:07 MST 2004

/*--- Tatu Lahtela <lahtela at cs.tut.fi> wrote:
   I have a 6 degree of freedom haptics device and I'm
   trying to add a good
  "feel" to the objects.
*/

Hi,
   I had to do the same thing some time back. I have a
3Dof Haptic device (6Dof position). I did this way:

 1. Your Haptic device position be HIP[x,y,z].
 2. Consider a small sphere S. add it to ODE space. S
should have both mass and geom.
 3. Now connect HIP and S with a tough Spring-Damper.
 4. Return the spring-damper forces back to the haptic
device. and apply opposite force to the Sphere using
 dBodyAddFoce(..).

 5. That's all... There are other methods in which you
can use the BallJoint constraints.

 6. You can take care of Torques also if you have 3Dof
Torque output.

 6. Never set the position of the S. It will harm the
user.

 Incase you have PHANToM let me know.

 Good Luck.
Manohar