[ODE] ODE in a FPS (falling over)

Konstantin Voloshin volk6 at mail.ru
Mon Sep 29 15:36:43 MST 2003

Hello

You can prevent FPS character from falling over by attaching AMotor
joint (angular motor) between your character body and static environment (
0 ).
I have implemented that, the solution seems to be satisfactory. Can provide
you with some details, if you're interested.

However, this approach enforces more constraints on player's body
(contact-joint + amotor-joint)

My other idea was to create a custom joint. I would call it something
like "rotationless contact". This joint should resolve penetrations between
bodies only by means of force, without applying torque.

In this case you need only rotationless_contact-joint to be attached to
your body, which I believe would be even computationally cheaper than
ordinary contact-joint. This is only the idea yet.

P.S.
    I haven't tried setting object's rotation manually. I think it would
cancel
    rotational part of a contact, thus causing objects penetration. It's
cheapest
    solution for now, but I have no ideas how to control that penetration.

SY,
VolK