[ODE] ODE in a FPS

Nate W coding at natew.com
Sat Sep 27 21:25:27 MST 2003

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, Dave Kerr wrote:

> Turns out that there are alot of problems with this.  Using ODE for a
> simple character is not the best choice.  I'd like to have a character
> that does not fall over, that can turn and move around, represented by
> a cube or cylinder.  I've tried calling SetQuaternion(0,0,0,0) on my
> player body every round, which acheives this effect, but causes
> problems with ground friction depending on the direction of movement
> (sliding, wont move, etc).  Is there a public solution to this
> problem?

It sounds like you want the character to have collisions with other
objects, but for the character's movement to be controlled by game logic
rather than by dynamics equations.  In that case, the solution might be to
create a geom object for the character, and place it in the scene without
a corresponding body.

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA