[ODE] ode

Nate W coding at natew.com
Wed Sep 17 17:19:07 MST 2003

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, api2551 at cacs.louisiana.edu wrote:

>    We are doing a project in virtual environments. We have a 22 sensor
> glove and we have virtual hand model(made of triangular meshes) and
> based on the sensor values the different parts of the hand get
> manipulated. We want to have a physics simulation library that can
> determine the collision between the hand and the virtual object and
> also transform the object based on the collision(direction). Can i do
> this with ODE.

Yes, you can do that with ODE.  I would suggest not using ODE bodies for
the hand itself (only for the other objects).  For the hand, just create
ODE geometry objects (with no associated bodies).  If the hand is composed
of bodies, you'll have to deal with the forces on the bodies, and you'll
have to apply forces to the bodies to move them.  Using geometries instead
will allow you to simply place the hand objects exactly where you want
them, frame by frame.

Also, it would probably be much more efficient and only slightly less
realistic to build the hand with a bunch of boxes and capped cylinders,
rather than using the tri-mesh model.  But, try it both ways and let us
know how it works out. :-)

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA