[ODE] info about ODE

Steve Baker sjbaker1 at airmail.net
Sun Oct 19 11:37:09 MST 2003

Marco Siino wrote:
> Hi! i'm a new user of this mailing list.
> I've the a 3d programmer of an italian games development team
> (ElvensRing, http://www.elvensring.net/), and we are developing a 3d
> game, so i want to use ODE in our game, but... ODE can be used in
> commercial projects?

Yes.

> there aren't legal problems?

No.

> I must include some files, licenses, or other with the project?

Yes.

ODE is covered by the "Lesser GNU Public License" (LGPL) *and* by the
BSD-style license.

The BSD license is probably the best one for you to work with.

Look in the file LICENSE-BSD.TXT in the ODE source distro...you should
read it carefully.

Essentially, it only requires you to reproduce the LICENSE-BSD.TXT file
somewhere in the game distribution media and to say that it applies to
the ODE library.  You also may not use the names of the ODE team to
promote the game(!).

HomeEmail: <sjbaker1 at airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker at link.com>
HomePage : http://www.sjbaker.org
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net