[ODE] does ODE need convex polyhedra collision?

Sergio Valverde svalverde at barcelona.ubisoft.es
Tue Oct 14 10:42:22 MST 2003

>>This isn't directly related to the concerns you raise, but it's worth
noting
>>that you may be able to use a "hack" to compensate for inaccurate
collision detection.

This is directly related if you plan to do realistic physical simulation,
that is, a simulation which computes torques correctly.

Moreover, the trick you commented seems difficult to integrate within
ODE framework: the Gino's trick is suitable for a impulse-based
simulator not for ODE which uses a sort of analytical method
(LCP and the like). I suspect that most algorithms based on
single-contact detectors require some sort of backtracking (like the
Mirtich approach) which is not very recommended for real-time games.
Moreover, the impulse approach requires tightly coupling between the
collision detector and dynamics integrator.

Sergi