[ODE] train

Amund Børsand amund at offroad.no
Mon Oct 6 12:58:22 MST 2003

Fabian Herb <commander at herb-clan.de> skreiv:

> OK, it's late, but I have this idea: on straight tracks, use a slider
> joint, and when entering a curved track, destroy the slider and create
> a hinge joint, with the axis located at the center of the curve. When
> entering the next track section, destroy the joint (or disconnect it)
> and create another one etc.
> Never tried this out though. Connecting multiple cars that are on the
> same track will possibly lead to instabilities, but with soft cfm/erp
> settings or manually adding forces to the cars, rather then connecting
> them, you could work around this.

Why do you want to use a physics library for this? If you want to use
fake physics, you don't really need ODE I think... why not make a
physically realistic train simulation, with the tracks as boxes, and
construct the wheels from ccylinders the way real trains have, with an
edge on one side of the wheel to keep the train on the track. That way
you'd get everything from the little jolts between the track "gurders"
to realistic de-railing and friction. Wouldn't that be cool? :)

--
Amund Børsand <amund £ offroad . no>