[ODE] Stack Overflow

Roel van Dijk roelvandijk at home.nl
Thu Oct 2 21:35:41 MST 2003

> Hello again guys. Thanks for helping me with the trimesh question. gl, your
> help was great. now everthing is fine. i have just few questions: is
> colision between cylinder and trimesh already implemented.
> i´m testing the test trimesh example and it sometimes give-me a stack
> overflow when i drop so many geons. how can i fix it. is it a problem for
> big simulations? is there a solution to it. i´m using windows. thanks
The stack overflow problem is typical for ode in windows. Ode's solver uses a
rather large matrix to solve the contact joints. When you have a lot of
collisions the stack gets to large and you get a stack overflow.
The solution to this is to not generate so much contacts or use the stepfast
functions. The stepfast functions are covered in the documentation.  It means
slightly less precision but huge speed gain and less memory use.