[ODE] Simulating a semi truck.......

Ed Jones ed.jones at oracle.com
Thu Nov 13 10:50:38 MST 2003

I have the tractor and trailer modelled as single bodies, but with a
couple of geoms for collision, in the case of the tractor, that's one
for the cab and one for the bit where the trailer attaches, plus the
wheels on each part can't collide with that part.
There's a picture here;
http://members.dodo.com.au/~ed-jones/semi_truck.jpg
That hopefully explains that a bit better.

I dunno about using a hinge joint, I know most of the 'bend' in the
truck / trailer connection (fifth-wheel?) is so the truck can go around
corners, but it also needs to be able to go over the brow of hills and
through dips in the road. As well as bump one of the trailer wheels over
the curb whilst the tractor stays flat on the road, which will need a
bit of twist. In my model the collisions between the tractor and trailer
stop the joint going too far, which I imagine is much the case with
proper trucks. Although admittedly I've never actually driven one!

Hope that's useful, I'm interested to see what other ideas anyone else has.

Cheers,
Ed.

P.S. Whatever you do, don't look at the index page of that URL I've
given above, but if you must, please see here;
http://www.remakes.org/website/competition/reviews.php?id=57
For an explaination (of sorts).