[ODE] Demo of upcoming kart game

Jeroen Schmitz Jeroen Schmitz" <ode at q12.org
Thu May 15 09:18:02 2003

Hi all,

I have decided to put up a little demo of the kart racing game I am
currently working on. All physics in the game are done using ODE, but
there are still some issues that have to be resolved regarding those
physics. Sometimes the cars don't behave the way they should, which
might partially be a caused by flaws in ODE and maybe by the way I am
using ODE.
Anyway, if you like the game and would like to give some suggestions on
how to improve the game (mainly the physics, that is), any feedback is
greatly appreciated!

The demo can be downloaded here:
http://kart.engine-software.nl/kartdemo.zip

Some additional info on this demo:
- the size of the zip file is about 37 mb, so you might reconsider
downloading it if you're on a slow connection
- there is no installer, just unzip the file and run the executable
- in this demo, only 'single race' and the track 'francorchamps' are
available, all other options and tracks are not included
- the menu is still only a mockup and does not reflect the menu in the
final release (that will be a 3d menu)
- during the game, if you play with a keyboard, you steer with the
cursor keys left-right and accelerate/brake with the cursors keys
up/down
- after the heat time has passed, the race will end the next time you
pass the finish line and when the other, computer player has also
finished
- to quit while racing, press 'N'; to pause/unpause, press 'Esc'
- the AI for the computer player is nowhere near what it should be yet
(it is still behaving quite badly, you will notice that it frequently
bumps into the wall and it is probably no match for you, unless you're a
very bad driver yourself ;) )
- as mentioned, sometimes the physics seems to do really funky stuff,
sometimes the car tends to fly when you hit into a wall and sometimes
the car appears to ride onto a wall instead just bumping off it

The final release for this game is currently scheduled for somewhere in
september this year.

Regards,
Jeroen Schmitz
Engine Software