[ODE] BSP And ODE?

Aras Pranckevicius nearaz at interamotion.com
Mon May 5 04:05:02 2003

> Im using Quake 3 BSP maps in my Engine, but Im trying to use ODE with it..
> What is the best way to use ODE with BSP files? I want objects to bounce
> round my map.
> BSP files are made up of lots of static faces that I would want ODE to
class
> as solid unmovable walls.
> Please take time answering in as much detail as possible.

There was a thead on this subject not long ago "BSP and ODE's collision
system" - around April 21st...

In short: in it's current implementation, ODE's collision system has no
native support for BSP. You can try to do several things:
1. use some other collision detection library and skip ODE's collision part
(and still use ODE's physics sim part)
2. implement and plug BSP collider into ODE's collision system :)
3. approximate your walls and other geometry by bunch of native ODE
collision primitives (boxes, etc.).
4. build a triangle mesh (or, better, several meshes) from your level
geometry and use TriCollider contribution for collision.

Aras Pranckevicius aka NeARAZ
http://www.gim.ktu.lt/nesnausk/nearaz/