[ODE] OT: virtual creatures in games

Alan Gordie Alan_Gordie at payformance.com
Thu Mar 27 07:40:02 2003

I haven't used these myself...yet, however, they appear to be worth looking
into further.  Please share any others that you find as well since I am, as
you, quite interested in evolving self-locomotion in virtual creatures.
Alan

http://lancet.mit.edu/ga/  (as David[david@csworkbench.com] already pointed
out...)
GAlib contains a set of C++ genetic algorithm objects. The library includes
tools for using genetic algorithms to do optimization in any C++ program
using any representation and genetic operators. The documentation includes
an extensive overview of how to implement a genetic algorithm as well as
examples illustrating customizations to the GAlib classes.
http://eodev.sourceforge.net/
EO is a templates-based, ANSI-C++ compliant evolutionary computation
library. It contains classes for almost any kind of evolutionary computation
you might come up to - at least for the ones we could think of. It is
component-based, so that if you don't find the class you need in it, it is
very easy to subclass existing abstract or concrete class.

--------------------------------------------http://pmdgp.sourceforge.net/
PMDGP (Poor Man's Distributed Genetic Programming) is an object oriented
framework for solving genetic programming problems written in C++. Once a GP
problem has been implemented using the PMDGP framework, the often
computational demanding evaluation of individuals (genetic programs) can be
easily distributed over the network among standard PC's using a GUI
client/server approach utilizing the idle time of client computers.

http://www.amygdala.org/
Amygdala is an implementation of a Spiking Neural Network simulator.
Amygdala is still in early stages of development so don't bet your job on
it. This doesn't mean it's useless. Here is a short summary of what's
already in place:

*Neuron models emphasizing on speed and others with an emphasis on
*biologically accurate modeling
*Support for SMP machines
*Evolving neural networks using a Genetic Algorithm
*Tools to analyze and visualize the topology of the NN