[ODE] approximation or rounding error?

Bjoern Mahn bjoern.mahn at ais.fraunhofer.de
Wed Mar 19 02:01:02 2003

hi,

I designed a small sphere fixed _in_ a big sphere. The small sphere is
decentral, which should cause that the big sphere (lying on the ground)
should move. Normally, it should have a behavior like a pendular, rolling
from left to right and vice versa. But although the friction (.surface.mu) is
dInfinity it oszillates higher and higher till the sphere rolles away.

Wherefrom comes the energy that causes this phenomenom? Are there rounding
errors in the collision detection so that the rotation becomes more and more
energy?

What did I do wrong?

(With using a quite big slip (FDS) this problem is fixed, but I don't want my
sphere to be slipping so hard. Stepsize is 0.01)

Thanks for your help!

--
Björn Mahn