[ODE] Breakable joints

Roel van Dijk roelvandijk at home.nl
Sat Jun 28 16:30:02 2003

On Saturday 28 June 2003 19:05, Nate W wrote:
> At the very least, it sounds like a good thing to include as a
> contribution.  As for implementing it in ODE itself, is there a way to do
> so without forcing any memory or CPU overhead on ODE users who don't want
> breakable joints?
I think I can do it the same way as the joint feedback structure. The memory
overhead will be one pointer (1 byte?) per joint. The CPU overhead will
consist of one check every step for every joint, something like 'if
dJointIsBreakable(joint)'. Maybe this can also be optimized by placing all
breakable joints in a jointgroup. If you want no overhead at all then this
must remain a contribution ofcourse.
I'm going to try to find the place in the code where the forces on the joints
are calculated. Maybe the place where the joint feedback struct is filled? If
it's to hard I will post on the mailing list again :-)

Roel