[ODE] Actuators

Brian Bell bbell at legitimatefront.com
Thu Jun 26 18:10:02 2003

Ivan,

I use something like this in my current project (foosball) to keep the dudes
on the field pointing straight up and down, while still allowing them to
react a little when the ball hits them.

I used a PID controller to generate the torques necessary to maintain my
target value (actually, in this case, it's just a PD controller).  You could
certainly use a controller like this to enforce the relative position you're
looking for, and there's a lot of literature on the net about PID
controllers.  It's just a matter of tweaking the gains to your framerate and
simulation to achieve a nice smooth response, within your parameters (ie,
how much overshoot is allowed, settling time, etc).

Good luck!
Brian