[ODE] Objects moving bewteen spaces

Kevin Seghetti kts at worldfoundry.org
Sun Jun 15 13:25:02 2003

I am starting to integrate ODE into World Foundry (video game engine,
www.worldfoundry.org), which has a very simple AABB collision/physics
system.

World Foundry uses what we call "rooms" to divide the collision space
(since the engine was design to do fairly linear 3D platform games). The
"rooms" are AABBs which surround the play area, and their borders are
perfect aligned with the previous and next rooms.

collision spaces sound very similar to rooms, so I am going to try
mapping our rooms onto spaces. Most geometry is stationary, but the
player and bad guys can move from room to room, which means it is
possible for their geometry to be partially in 2 rooms at once.
Looking at the documentation I don't see how this is handled by spaces
(it appears that an object can only be in one space at a time, and is
assumed to be entirely contained by that space).

Is that the case, or did I miss something?

If so then any suggestions on how to handle the case of objects moving
between spaces?

My only thought so far would be to make an additional overlapping space:
room1 & room2 are adjacent, so make a 3rd space which surrounds all of
both room1 & room2, and put the objects which are transitioning into
that space until they are entirely contained in either room1 or room2s
space. I would rather not do that since room1 and room2 aren't
guaranteed to be the same size, so the containing space might overlap
other rooms.

Thanks,

--
Kevin Seghetti: E-Mail: kts@worldfoundry.org