[ODE] An embarassingly basic geometry question

amundbørsand amund at c2i.net
Wed Jun 11 10:35:03 2003

I've thought about cylinders myself (hydraulic in my case, but it's
really the same thing). I thought something like this:

 o------[XXXXXX]o

Okay, what I was thinking was that I'll use a slider joint for the
cylinder itself. The cylinder consists of two parts: The rod (---), and
the cylinder ([XXX]). These will be ODE bodies, connected by the slider
joint. Now, in the other end of both of these joints, I connect a ball
joint (the o's), which I then can connect to whatever the cylinder is
supposed to move.

Your problem is really not a problem, you don't need it once the
simulation starts, you just need to set up the parts initially, which
you said your code already does correctly! (If I haven't misunderstood
your question entirely)

I think this should work perfectly, haven't tried it yet, but I'm
looking forward to building everything from cars with hydraulic dampers
to excavators!

--
amundbørsand <amund@c2i.net>