[ODE] Need help with hinge and non-uniformly distributed mass

Keith Johnston kjohnston at pinolisoftware.com
Thu Jun 5 06:15:02 2003

Saw the video - very cool!  So it looks like you actually used a similar
solution - you attached a second body to use as a counterweight.  Did
you first try redistributing the mass of the arm of the treb so that it
would swing on its own around its center point?

I should have been more clear - you can attach the fixed axis of the
hinge anywhere you want, but the other end of the hinge is always at the
center of mass for the body.  The other issue is that the center of a
body is always at its center of mass.

So there are two possibilities:

1. Create a hinge where the anchor is at the center of the body.
Because the body's center of mass is always at its center, the body does
not rotate.

2. Create a hinge where the anchor is off-center.  The body will 'swing'
around the anchor point (not rotate).