[ODE] Need help with hinge and non-uniformly distributed mass

Nate W coding at natew.com
Wed Jun 4 20:09:02 2003

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Keith Johnston wrote:

> First of all, I do not think it is possible to attach a hinge joint
> anywhere to an object other than at its center of mass.  At least I
> couldn't get it to work.  This was the fundamental problem I kept
> bumping into.  I wanted to have a single mass swing back and forth like
> a pendulum.

This is definitely possible with ODE.  For example, in the trebuchet video
I posted a few days ago, and the trebuchet's counterweight is a body with
a hinge anchored well away from the body's center of mass.

I'm glad to hear that you found a way to get the pendulum you wanted, but
I'm certain that it's not necessary to use a second body to make that
work.  However, I'm just as stumped as you are as to what exactly was
wrong with your first attempt.

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA