[ODE] Flat ended cylinder

Patrik Stellmann patrik at volleynet.de
Tue Jul 22 00:32:02 2003

slipch wrote:

> Hello Patrik,
>
> Friday, July 18, 2003, 12:29:10 PM, you wrote:
>
> PS> Taking a closer look to the code I noticed that - for whatever
> reason - PS> the value of -dInfinity is almost 0
> (1.1449275104080437e-125 to be PS> exact) so much greater than
> negative infinity. However I used my own PS> TRealMin value instead
> and it works now.
>
> If you build with ode.dll   dInfinity would not exported from dll
> because of static declaration, I think. So, if you include cylinder -
> file in your project it would not work  as  dInfinity has wrong value.

Thanks, that's indeed the case!

> PS> But I noticed other bugs: The cylinder-cylinder collider (see PS>
> attachment) where the barrels sunk in each other (also in both versions).
>
>  I am not sure I understand this problem. But I think one contact
>  point might be the cause.

In the cylinder-cylinder collision the cylinders seem to behave like
they have only half length - didn't do much tests yet so it might a
problem on my side as well.

> PS> I also noticed that the cylinder-ray collider doesn't care about
> the end PS> of the cylinder but seems to assume the cylinder has
> infinite length!?
>
> Cylinder - Ray is Olivier Michel's work. But as far as I know it works
> as it should.

I'm using the ray only for object selection yet and in that case I
select the cylinder also when just clicking on the extension of the
cylinder - but might be another problem as well. Didn't take the time
yet to take a closer look on that behavior or the code.

Anyway, thanx for your help!

Patrik