[ODE] Stepfast

Russ Smith russ at q12.org
Thu Jul 10 21:49:01 2003

> david whittaker was going to check the stepfast stuff into CVS a while
> ago, but he's apparently not gotten around to it. i'll see if i can
> integrate your trunk-to-stepfast patches (code and docs) tonight
> (PST!). yes ... this code does seem to be in a very usable state and
> it's definitely worth having it in the ODE core.

okay, i've checked all the StepFast code into CVS. i've changed the
names of the exported functions to match the documentation, they are
now:

  void dWorldStepFast1(dWorldID, dReal stepsize, int maxiterations);
  void dWorldSetAutoEnableDepthSF1(dWorldID, int autoEnableDepth);
  int dWorldGetAutoEnableDepthSF1(dWorldID);

the ODE docs now include a stepfast section, and i've updated the
website. note that the "1" in the function names allows for the
possibility that there will be other fast stepping algorithms, or
variants ... i didn't want to have to call these things
dWorldStepFaster(), dWorldStepEvenFasterThanThat(), etc.

the documentation defines a number of other functions that are not
actually implemented in the source:

  dBodySetAutoDisableThresholdSF1
  dBodyGetAutoDisableThresholdSF1
  dBodySetAutoDisableStepsSF1
  dBodyGetAutoDisableStepsSF1
  dBodySetAutoDisableSF1
  dBodyGetAutoDisableSF1

does anybody know if these were ever implemented? (david? if you are
still there...)

it seems that it's time for another file release (and time to up the
version number by another 0.001 :) ... note that i don't make file
releases often because it's a hassle for me. if some helpful person
would like to donate their time to making an automated release system
i'm sure the community would appreciate it...

russ.

--
Russell Smith
http://www.q12.org