[ODE] Moving joints that are attached to the static environment

Nate W coding at natew.com
Wed Jul 9 21:23:01 2003

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Frederic Ferland wrote:

> Anyone's got an idea?

Have you tried moving the ball joints at the end?  It might work if you
move them in small increments, over the course of many calls to
dWorldStep.  If that doesn't work, attatch the plank at the end to a
slider joint, and attach the slider to the static environment, and
motorize the slider to move the plank.

Also, I doubt that the ball joints are a good idea.  Two ball joints will
constrain the motion of the bodies in the same way that a hinge does, but
I suspect that two ball joints will consume more processor time than a
single hinge.

If you want the bridge to be able to flex like a real rope bridge, I think
you can accomplish that using hinges, just use a value of 0.1 or 0.01 for
the joint's CFM, using dJointSetHingeParam (joint, dParamCFM, 0.01);  That
should allow for some elasticity.

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA