[ODE] .NET wrapper - Materials

David Walker david.walker530 at ntlworld.com
Mon Jan 27 21:59:03 2003

I'd missed the discussion on materials but I've just had a quick look at the
archives and it sounds like a good idea but there are few things I'm not
sure about. If I read it correctly, you would assign a material to each geom
and then when the collision is detected use the properties of the materials
to assign the correct values to the surface properties. This could
potentially lead to a lot of surface combinations. Not really a problem I
suppose, since you already have the same number of combinations at the
moment and at least the materials would give some way to structure it. hmm.
sorry don't really know where I was going with that just kinda thinking out
loud.

The other thing that occurred to me is that I think the collision callback
is useful for a few other things. a) ignoring collisions and b) performing
other operations when a collision occurs (increasing score for example) and
c) just general flexibility, so I think that any materials mechanism should
be optional and implemented alongside the callback.

David.