[ODE] dCylinder with new collision detection system

Olivier Michel Olivier.Michel at cyberbotics.com
Thu Jan 16 09:41:02 2003

slipch wrote:

>Hello Olivier,
>
>Wednesday, January 15, 2003, 3:09:02 PM, you wrote:
>
>OM> Hello Konstantin,
>
>OM> Thanks for your fast reply. Do you mean that the zip attachment you sent
>OM> should work with the new version of the collision detection ? If not
>OM> what should changed so that it works ? What are those problems with Cyl
>OM> Cyl collision ? May I help getting them fixed ?
>
>Yes it should work with new version of collision detection. At least
>it works in my project.

I can confirm that it works as well in my project with the new version
of the collision detection. Maybe this new version should replace the
old one from the CVS repository (if not already done).

> As to problems with cyl-cyl collision they are contact points not
> always are in the cylinders intersection volume. There is no visible
> effect on simulation (as seems to me) except maybe dancing in stack
> (there is other reasons  for the dancing indeed) but it is an IMO
> error.

I didn't yet noticed this problem, but I will let you know if ever I can
observe it.

> This problem appears when edge circles touches. To solve it I need to
> find a "good" axis for separation. The best one mast be line which
> connect the nearest circle points - but it needs too much
> computation. I have another solution - find mean points on the part
> of circles in cylinders volumes it also seems to be a "good" axis.
> Currently I use a trick which allows to set contact points near the
> place it should be.

Hum... I am not sure I can be very helpful with that matter... I will
see if I notice the problem.

Anyhow thank you very much!

-Olivier