[ODE] Contact joints simulating rough surfaces

Nate W coding at natew.com
Fri Feb 28 13:48:02 2003

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Michal Bacik wrote:

> How do I set-up contact joint which simulates highly-rough surface, for
> example as if object was moving through grass? If I had sphere, I'd like it
> to stop very soon when moving on the surface.
> Now, a sphere just rolls forever, without stopping.

The forces you're looking for do not come from contact joints, and/or are
not part of "rigid body" dynamics (e.g. grass).  But, you can fake it by
applying those forces yourself.

The rolling sphere thing comes up here often, AFAIK the usual solution is
to apply a force proprotional to its velocity.

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA