[ODE] Simulating human bodies

Gary R. Van Sickle g.r.vansickle at worldnet.att.net
Thu Feb 27 22:53:02 2003

> If someone has done this before, I'd love to learn what are the best joints
> for simulating human (e.g. animating dead corpses).
>
> For example joint which connects upper arm with elbow: I'd use ball joint,
> but it has no stops. Or I'd use hinge, but it absolutely limits movement in
> one axis, which is not very realistic.

Think "Action Figure" ;-).

The coolest (i.e. most articulated) ones would split the upper arm in half
transversely and add a rotational joint (i.e. a hinge with the axis parallel to
the arm) there, and then use a hinge at the elbow.  A hinge at the elbow
actually is very realistic - your upper arm rotates at the shoulder to move the
forearm side-to-side, and your lower arm actually twists to rotate your wrist
about the arm axis.  The elbow itself is very much a hinge.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Brewer.  Patriot.