[ODE] Dynamic mesh collision

Amund Børsand amund at c2i.net
Tue Feb 18 11:43:01 2003

whitt013 <whitt013@bama.ua.edu> skreiv:

> ODE would still provide the "illusion" of deformation if your ERP is less than
> 1 (like 0.9) and your CFM is slightly greater than 0 (like 1e-5).  In that
> case, it takes more than 1 timestep for two intersecting bodies to be pushed
> apart, allowing the tires to sink through the ground just a tad.  From the
> top, it looks like the tire just deformed to fit the surface.  And it's a lot
> cheaper to use one non-deformable cylinder than a whole mesh with pressure
> calculations....

Yes, I know, this is a fair "shortcut" for on-road and high-speed car
simlations, but it behaves quite unrealistic when crawling over sharp
rocks with near-flat tires. Would be fun to try to implement it, though,
even if it would be slow (we'd just make it optional). I've never seen
that being done before.