[ODE] Geomgroups vs composite

skjold@cistron.nl skjold at cistron.nl
Mon Feb 10 04:56:01 2003

Hi,

Well, GeomGroups are deprecated in ODE 0.035, you could use SimpleSpaces istead. But when it comes to combining multiple geometries into a single object, I think composite is the way to go, because then it will be treated as a single dynamic body. Also, as I found out yesterday (I'm quite new to ODE myself), these component geometries in a single composite object are, for some reason unknown to me, never tested against eachother for collision. This is desirable of course, since they all represent the same rigid body, but I would have thought ODE to still treat it at separate geometries. So it looks like ODE is way ahead of me, as I was looking for a way to skip collision testing on those component geoms ;)

This does leave me wondering, is it still worthwhile to put the geoms from a single composite object into their own SimpleSpace? I figure that might benefit dSpaceCollide, but then again maybe ODE is way ahead of me on that too. On a side note, I wouldn't mind being able to set user data on spaces, perhaps this would be nice for a future release.

To conclude: WOW! I am impressed by ODE. I've been looking for something like this (aren't we all inspired by Karl Sims :P) Russel, and the other contributers too, great job!

greets