[ODE] Units - Mass relationship

Jeroen Schmitz Jeroen Schmitz" <ode at q12.org
Fri Feb 7 04:15:02 2003

As I understand it, dimensions in ODE do not have a particular unit. I
understand this for dimensions of objects in relationship to for
instance speed and gravity. But what I don't understand is how I should
use the mass parameters in relationship to this. For instance, in my
project I use meters as dimensions. I set the gravity to a real world
value like this:

dWorldSetGravity(m_odeWorld, 0, -9.81, 0);

Now I make a massbox of 1x1x1 meter like this:

dMass m;
dMassSetBox(&m, 1, 1.0, 1.0,1.0);

Now I want to make that box have a weight of 1 kilogram. What do I have
to fill in this:
dMassAdjust(&m, 1);

to achieve this? Am I still missing some other point here or is there a
straightforward answer to this?

Thanks,
Jeroen Schmitz