[ODE] Rotation about Z-axis clockwise ?

thomas.miconi@free.fr thomas.miconi at free.fr
Thu Aug 28 01:52:02 2003

 Quoting Antonio Tejada Lacaci <wildfred@teleline.es>:
> For example, if I rotate around Z 90 degrees,
>
>         dRFromAxisAndAngle(m3, 0, 0, 1, M_PI / 2);
>
> I get as final matrix:
>
>  (0.000000, -1.000000, 0.000000)
>  (1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000)
>  (0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000)
>
> Which is what I expect, because when doing that rotation, X becomes -Y
> and Y becomes X:

That's precisely what I just can't get. In a plain direct orthogonal basis, if
Z points to you ("out" of the screen), X points to the right and Y to the top
(as seen on the link below - and on the first 3 fingers of my right hand).

So after applying a Pi/2 rotation, it seems to me that X and Y should
rotate counterclockwise, X should become Y, and Y become -X.

Damn damn damn (I should have worked a bit more in 1st year physics classes
:-)

http://www.schorsch.com/kbase/glossary/right_hand_rule.html

Amicalement,
Thomas